I would like to give you some inspiration. These songs can help us get through a day. That’s what you do with depression. We try to get through each day and hope that tomorrow is better. I’m including some songs that are specifically about depression, but most of these are just songs with generally inspirational lyrics.
By no means is this a cure, but I hope these songs will make you happy for at least a few minutes. Dealing with depression is painful. It’s a kind of pain that most people can’t wrap their heads around. I hope some of these words will give you hope and inspiration:
1. 3 Doors Down – “Let Me Be Myself”
Always remember to stay true to yourself during your recovery:
“Just let me be myself / So i can shine with my own light
Let me be myself / Would you let me be myself”
2. Katy Perry – “Firework”You are special. Remember that when you are struggling:
“You don’t have to feel like a wasted space / You’re original, cannot be replaced.
If you only knew what the future holds / After a hurricane comes a rainbow”
3. Ingrid Michaelson – “Keep Breathing”This one was on Grey’s Anatomy, my favorite show, so it is special to me:
“I want to change the world, instead I sleep. / I want to believe in more than you and me.
But all that I know is I’m breathing. / All I can do is keep breathing. / All we can do is keep breathing.”
4. Demi Lovato – “Warrior”This is actually one of the only songs I’ve heard from her. I’m including her because she fights bipolar disorder and fights against the stigma:
“This is a story that I have never told / I gotta get this off my chest to let it go.
I need to take back the light inside you stole / You’re a criminal,
And you steal like you’re a pro.”
5. Linkin Park – “Somewhere I Belong”This is my favorite band. Their music has helped me through many bad times:
“I want to heal, / I want to feel, / What I thought was never real.
I want to let go of the pain I felt so long (Erase all the pain ’til it’s gone) / I want to heal,
I want to feel, / Like I’m close to something real / I want to find something I’ve wanted all along / Somewhere I belong.”
6. Natasha Beddingfield – “Unwritten”This is bound to lift you up:
“Feel the rain on your skin / No one else can feel it for you / Only you can let it in.
No one else, no one else / Can speak the words on your lips / Drench yourself in words unspoken,
Live your life with arms wide open / Today is where your book begins / The rest is still unwritten”
7. Green Day – “Basket Case”
Billie Joe Armstrong said that this song is about his experience with panic disorder:
“Sometimes I give myself the creeps / Sometimes my mind plays tricks on me.
It all keeps adding up / I think I’m cracking up,
Am I just paranoid, / Or am I just stoned?”
8. The Rolling Stones – “Paint It Black”This classic deserves a spot here:
“I see a red door and I want it painted black / No colors anymore, I want them to turn black.
I see the girls walk by dressed in their summer clothes / I have to turn my head until my darkness goes /
I see a line of cars and they’re all painted black / With flowers and my love, both never to come back.
I see people turn their heads and quickly look away / Like a new born baby it just happens every day.”
9. Sara Bareilles – “Brave”I used this on a list of LGBT anthems, but I think it works here as well:
“Say what you wanna say / And let the words fall out
Honestly I wanna see you be brave / With what you want to say,
And let the words fall out / Honestly I wanna see you be brave.”
10. The Beatles – “Hey Jude”“Take a sad song and make it better.”
11. R.E.M. – “Everybody Hurts”This is a powerful song about suicidal ideations:
“When your day is long / And the night, the night is yours alone /
When you’re sure you’ve had enough / Of this life, well hang on.”
12. Christina Perri – “Jar Of Hearts”For when your personal demons won’t leave you alone:
“And who do you think you are? /Runnin’ ’round leaving scars.
Collecting your jar of hearts / And tearing love apart.
You’re gonna catch a cold / From the ice inside your soul.
So don’t come back for me / Who do you think you are?”
13. Evanescence – “Bring Me To Life”The lyrics are beautiful and her voice is breathtaking:
“Wake me up, wake me up inside I can’t wake up, / Wake me up inside, save me,
Call my name and save me from the dark, wake me up / Bid my blood to run, I can’t wake up.
Before I come undone, save me / Save me from the nothing I’ve become”
Bonus: Linkin Park – “Papercut”I’m putting this here because it perfectly describes the paranoia I’ve been through with my disorder. I listened to it a lot when I was sick:
“Why does it feel like night today? /Something in the air’s not right today.
Why am I so uptight today? / Paranoia’s all I got left,
I don’t know what stressed me first / Or how the pressure was fed,
But I know just what it feels like / To have a voice in the back of my head.
Like a face that I hold inside / A face that awakes when I close my eyes.
A face watches every time I lie / A face that laughs every time I fall,
(It watches everything) / So I know now when it’s time to sink or swim.
That the face inside is hearing me / Right beneath my skin.”